[MacDV] which camera?

Andrew T. Lynch atlynch at mac.com
Mon Feb 24 14:49:55 PST 2003

I'm looking to buy soon as well.  I'm debating between the DCR-TRV50
which is last years model, available for about $1000, and DCR-TRV38,
this years model, for about $900. They are both significantly smaller
than my current Hi-8 camera.

The main difference  I can see is that the TRV50 has a larger ccd, 1/4"
where the TRV38 has a 1/4.7" ccd. (Strange numbering system...)  I
would guess that this would translate to better video for the TRV50.

I did not consider the Canon ZR series, I got the impression that they
are a more entry level line.  I did consider the Canon Optura, it's
main benefit is optical image stabilization.  I do like Canon, my
existing video camera is a Canon, and I have a Canon digital camera,
but the Sony cameras seem to have a better cost/benfit ratio.

-Drew

On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 01:45  PM, timjoe wrote:

> hi all, i'm trying to choose a lightweight, quality videocamera...one
> person here recommended the Sony TRV900; another person referred to the
> Canon ZR series but didn't recommend one in particular...any other
> thoughts out there?
>   tim

- Andrew T. Lynch
- Chief Zymurgist/Manager US Technical Services
- Verisity Design Inc.
- (650)934-6875