Error of type-127

June Parlett jparlett at gte.net
Tue Feb 25 22:56:42 PST 2003

Please rescue me and my iMac tonite. I have something happening that I
cannot undo, and I cannot shut the machine off because I got this icky
message: The start up disk
> no longer has a valid system folder. System and Finder must be in the

NOT be Able To Restart The Computer! What is this? So I don't want that, so
I won't try to shut down from the special menu. This is what it says.

Last night, I accidently shut the power off while the computer was connected
to the internet from the wall switch. I wasn't thinking. Then it starts up
find tonite, and while I am on the internet, I am looking at email, and I
get an email that says to go to a site for computer graphics to do a survey,
which may put me into an eligibility for $500, so I think it is from
Computer Graphics Magazine, and I click the link. It opens to a site, which
has a security message, which I click OK, then I wait a while for the second
page to open up, which also has another security link. Now I notice the
freezing, where one of the images blends into the other one, and there is
some fragmentation of the image from below being visible on the browser
page. Well I know this is trouble, then I can't get it to quite, but it does
one of those unexpected quits because of a type -127 error, then I notice I
am in big trouble, because I cannot shut down the comptuer. It is a Bondi
Blue iMac there has never given me a problem ever, it has been running well
for 4 years. Could I have damaged it when I did that hard shutdown last
night. Or there could be another reason. What ever that could be, what do I
do now??????
The Message reads now, when I try to open up the Harddrive, "The Macintosh
HD could not be opened because of an error of type-127Error of type-127
Of course the extensions are off, because I had trouble restarting the
computer after that first freeze, so I restarted with extensions off. I was
trying to do a regular shutdown, when I got that message. Will I not be able
to restart my computer? Oh what can I do. Please help. June