[MacDV] Re: iDVD3- How is it working for you?

Andrew T. Lynch atlynch at mac.com
Thu Feb 27 08:57:45 PST 2003

Thesteps which Bill outlined, while they may all been required to get
to a state where things were working, are somewhat unrelated.  They
will not be required for each disk you burn, or each project you edit.
It sounds like some things were amiss on your system, and burning dvds
in iDvd is a pretty high level task that requires many things to be
working properly.

Corrupted file and folder permissions does seem to be a fairly
pervasive problem with Mac OS X.  It can cause any number of strange
behaviours.  Fortunately, it is easy to fix with repair permissions..

While I have not yet burned with iDvd3, I did have issues with the
previous version of iDVD (on a previous release of X), if my system was
set to let the hard drives go to sleep.

I have also had issues with iMovie and iDvd being able to see my itunes
and iphoto library.   I have discovered a simple solution for this
which does not require trashing plists or reinstalling software.  I
will post this under the subject "Solution to Problems finding iTunes
and iPhoto libraries from within iApps"   I will also address issues
regarding iPhoto Librarian and iPhoto Library Manager.

-Drew

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 08:31  PM, Mike Swope wrote:

> Haven't tried Maxell, but Apple, Sony and TDK brand DVD-Rs work very
> well for us and our customers.
>
> Bill Ronk wrote:
>> I have had some success with iDVD3, but it has taken a lot more time
>> and effort than I ever needed with iDVD 2 (iMac 17" -10.2.4).  To
>> clarify, I didn't experience any problems building the project, and I
>> LOVE the integration of iPhoto and iTunes. My problems were all
>> related with the burning process, which seems to be a pretty common
>> problem on the iDVD discussion list.
>> Another popular, and possibly related topic, is  what DVD-R media
>> seems to work(Apple and Maxell seem to be the front runners), and
>> while I did finally have a successful burn, it came after a multiple
>> step process that involved repairing permissions, starting up the
>> "iapps" in order, saving the project and then quitting iDVD, etc. A
>> friend commented that it seemed like a very PCesque process.
>> On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 03:02 PM, Macintosh Digital Video
>> List wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> If you are using iDVD3, I would sure appreciate it if you would tell
>>> me how it is working
>>> out for you.
>>> Thank you,
>>> Craig Busch

- Andrew T. Lynch
- Chief Zymurgist/Manager US Technical Services
- Verisity Design Inc.
- (650)934-6875