mpeg2 /toast /DVD

L.Cornelio cornelio at san.rr.com
Fri Feb 28 22:51:03 PST 2003

Here is my desire, but I am not sure of the steps.

I have analog video I'd like to get to DVD
I have a 7500 now G3 to get the video to a firewire drive, using BTV
software, probably w/ motion jpeg compression. I've done this & made VCDs
no problem, compression via Media Cleaner.

My question is this - if  I use cleaner to compress to mpeg2, how can a
DVD be authored from this file? I mean if I just drop the mpeg2 file on a
DVD in toast, I'll get a DVD data disk w/ an mpeg file on it, no? How
does one crete the .VOB files etc that are found in a Video_TS folder?

Or must I use iDVD? If so, how does the quality (compression results) &
relative time to complete task compare ( cleaner vs. iDVD)

Actaully I dont even know how to get the video to iDVD, never having been
able to play w/ those things - does it have to also go via iMovie  ----
import the .mov file I captured to iMovie, save as DV stream & then open
w/ iDVD which will compress as required (how long a process? As bad as
mpeg 1?) & also create all the files needed & burn it as well?

I am just trying to get the sequence straight, sorry for the lame
questions, but I will have limited access to a superdrive eMac & want to
make most of my time.

thanks!

-cornelio