[MacDV] Re: Pioneer DVR-105 for $170

Scott Baldwin sbaldwin at san.rr.com
Wed Jan 1 17:44:48 PST 2003

> Thanks for the heads up - I just picked one of these up from the local
> Office Max in Santa Cruz. A couple of questions, if I may:
>
> 1) Did you replace your existing CD/DVD drive in your G4 Mac with the
> new drive ? If so, how did you get the old one out ? I have a DVD-RAM
> drive in there at the moment and I just can't seem to work out how to
> extract it. Do you need to take off the front bezel somehow ?

Yes you have to take off the front plastic panel.  There is a screw
holding the drive from the front.  To remove the plastic bezel, it
helps to remove the upper and lower handles.  Then the bezel will pop
out (with a little effort).  Remove the screw and the drive should
slide out.

> 2) How do you get iDVD ? Does Software Update autmatically detect that
> you now have a SuperDrive installed and download it, or do you have to
> buy it from Apple, or what ?

You have to purchase iDVD from the apple website.  It is not available
as a download, the CD is $19.95, which they will ship.  Make sure you
have you new drive installed and it is working before you install iDVD.
  I installed iDVD first (O.K. I wasn't thinking.......)  and then the
drive.   This really screwed everything up.  I wound up having to
reinstall my system.

Cheers,

Scott