[MacDV] Direct to DVD release

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Wed Jan 1 23:52:53 PST 2003

Well, assuming you can supply your own DVD authoring, design and art
services for the DVD disc as well as the cover art/insert/book, the
replication of the disc, all inclusive down to the shrinkwrap, is
largely dependent upon the quantity produced, but you'll rarely, even
in smaller runs, ever get above $2.00 to $3.00 per disc. Large
quantities can drop replication costs significantly, in the dollar and
change vicinity. You must, on top of the replication cost, add shipping
fees from the dupe house to your warehouse, more shipping fees to
either sub distributors or direct shipping to customers, who will also
help defer your costs through a shipping and handling fee. Here, deals
with your shipping agent (UPS, etc.) count. You can recover almost all
of your replication and shipping expense in the S&H fee. On top of
shipping concerns, I'm assuming you are speaking of a independent title
that has had limited to no theatrical distribution. In this case, you
must also bear the cost of advertising - which could be almost any
amount, depending on media and ad sizing. Internet ads vary in price as
well. Online sales at places like Amazon and DVDEmpire are useful in
that you have little to know cost to get in, but each service will take
a percentage of the sale for handling the transaction. This could be
likened to the "distributor's cut" in a traditional theatrical run,
which runs variably around the 40% mark. And then, you have to recoup
production costs... In short, the profit is a complex equation, but
assuming your independent production had a low initial budget, your
break even point could be pretty low, very low, in fact, next to any
studio production. The trick is to attract people to your film, where
again, the Internet can prove invaluable. Sites are available to help
in this pursuit (including some I happen to be developing, such as
worldpremieredvd.com - not up yet, but coming) and with care, through
the Internet, a new era for independents, which changes the financial
equation of filmmaking, may be in the offing.

Richard Brown

On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 11:27 PM, finalcutpro8 at netscape.net