Pioneer DVR-105 for $170

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Thu Jan 2 04:41:22 PST 2003

I stirred this hornets nest, so I'd best chime in:

1) This IS a Pioneer drive, IF you get the box with the numbers I mentioned:

   OfficeMax Part# 2021-6641, Cendyne Part# CDICD00209, SKU# 683728002091

If all three of the numbers don't match these, then look at the back of the
box.  At the bottom of the spec list, it should say DVR-105.  If it
doesn't, then DON'T buy it.

2) The drive itself is labeled "Pioneer DVR-105".

3) The drive will work in an external firewire case, but iDVD will not.
Other applications should all work.

4) This drive is fully supported in OSX 10.2.2, you DON'T need to upgrade
to 10.2.3

5)The DVR-105 is twice as fast as Apple Superdrive (which is a DVR-104
w/Apple trademark burned into firmware).

6) AFAIK, these can ONLY be bought in a retail store, not online.

7) Kernal panics:  turn off the "put hard disc to sleep whenever possible"
feature in the Energy Saver control panel.  This is a known issue, and I'm
sure Pioneer will provide a firmware update sometime.

I hope that got it all.

I have ripped and burned CDs from iTunes, and burned 1x test DVDs, but I
have not yet checked 4x DVD burns.  I haven't found any 4x DVDs yet.