[MacDV] The DV Revolution

Danny Grizzle danny at mogulhost.com
Thu Jan 2 07:31:55 PST 2003

On 1/2/03 1:29 AM, "finalcutpro8 at netscape.net" <finalcutpro8 at netscape.net>
wrote:

> If miniDV looks all too ugly when printed ot 35mm film then is there any point
> to go with a 3CCD miniDV at all (quite a bit of extra money). Should I just
> stick with single CCD? Will it make all that much difference?

Short of shooting in High Definition video, anything you produce in DV will
essentially be NTSC or PAL. In other words, no matter what you do, there is
an absolute limit imposed by video standards definitions, which were largely
locked down 50+ years ago. DV is not voodoo, snake oil, or a cure all. Using
modern technology, it simply does a remarkable job producing video in a
half-century old medium.

This is not to say that all standard definition video is the same.

Most DV is shot with a camcorder. Consider this device as two separate
units, a camera, and a recorder.

With DV, the recorder section is digital, not a terrible lot of distinction
in signal quality between consumer and pro gear.

The camera section of the camcorder is an entirely different story. With
single chip cameras, you have a consumer camera (no different than mom's old
VHS or Betamovie) combined with a DV tape recorder. This yields spectacular
recording of bad image quality.

Bottom line: consider only 3-CCD cameras for serious work. They produce
dramatically better images, within the limits of standard definition NTSC or
PAL video. Digital recording is only half the miracle of the DV revolution.
Availability of high quality 3-CCD video camera at an affordable price is
just as important as digital signal recording.

(Note: little more than 10 years ago, the industry standard video camera was
a 3-tube Ikegami HL-79EAL, about $60,000. Add to this $20,000 for a lens,
and $35,000 for an outboard Betacam SP field recorder, and you get some idea
of the value in today's DV cameras, which offer comparable performance at
under $4,000!)

Finally, don't neglect audio. The best cameras either include pro XLR audio
inputs, or else make provision for pro audio via accessories. My preference
is built-in XLR mic/line jacks, no jumper cables from an external device.
Opting for pro audio capability (balanced 3 wire) over consumer audio
(unbalanced 2 wire) is every bit as important as 3-chip camera vs. a single
chip design.

Danny Grizzle