[MacDV] Re: Recording from Mac to a dvd recorder

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Thu Jan 2 09:14:52 PST 2003

Keep in mind the recordable DVD material is 4.7 GB, meaning the greater
you extend the length, the more overall artifacting that will become
apparent. The potential pristine quality of DVD playback is compromised
by higher and higher compression. Remember uncompressed video is in the
gigabytes PER MINUTE category. Even straight DV/DVCAM eclipses 4.7 gigs
in about 20 minutes of playback. The "60 Minute Barrier" is about a
certain video quality, going past 60 minutes must erode that quality
through higher compression. However, if you have digital cable TV, and
can tolerate HBO, I would say go for 90 or 120 minutes on 4.7 GB DVDs,
as it might not be any worse than digital cable.

Richard Brown