Modern single-chip cameras--

Hal Cauthen haly2k1 at mac.com
Fri Jan 3 07:55:15 PST 2003

Re single vs three chip cameras: Obviously there are many opinions,
but...
I did cause a 'test' to be done at our local TV station awhile ago,
comparing a Pansonic DvPro, a Canon GL2, and Sony something or other, a
single chip camera.
The 'tests' (hesitate to use that word!) were simple, some would say
simplistic:
We simply set up the three camera on tripods, in front of a static,
well lighted set, and shot the same scenes with all three camera. All
the camera were 'professionally' set up, white balanced, etc.
Then I had the resulting video editing onto a single tape, such that
only myself and the editor knew when scene was shot with which camera,
and then we invited in the staff, and whoever else was handy, and asked
if they could tell the difference.
The answer in general was no.
The the naked eye (of the staff and the various bystanders), there was
no dissernible differerence between the various shots.
(Granted, on a scope, there were.)

Conclusions, tentative --
	- If the scene is well lit, then more than acceptable results CAN be
achieved single chip or less than Pro level camcorders -- for many
uses.  In our case, for public TV.
	-There is no question, however, than the 'pro level' three  chip
camcorders give 'measurably' better images, and perform much better
under less than optimal conditions.
	-So, like everything else, it's a trade off.
		- Yes, you can get 'better' results with an expensive, pro level,
three chip camcorder, BUT just remember the old adage: Better is the
enemy of good enough!
:-)
Hal