Analog Video to Digital

Larry Briggs briggsl at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 6 09:35:14 PST 2003

I want to convert analog Sony 8 and Hi8 video tapes to digital format,
so that I can edit and then burn DVD's on my iMac.

Separately, and later, I want to have old 8mm home movies converted to
digital format for editing and burning to DVD's. Everything I read
suggests that I should definitely not go through VHS for the movies.

I was given a Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge to link between my analog Sony
video camera and my iMac. The quality of the movies on my Mac screen is
much darker and color is lost. I gather from the Dazzle website, though,
that the problem is due to the display not showing the full file being
converted.

The more I read, I wonder, should I have gotten a digital video camera
as the bridge between the analog videocam and the iMac, rather than the
Dazzle DV Bridge? I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

When I convert my home movies, since I plan to avoid VHS, would the
output be to digital video tape which I would want to play on a digital
video camera to export into my iMac for editing and burning?

Thanks.

Larry