[MacDV] iLife and G4 450

Robert White Robert.White at morganstanley.com
Wed Jan 8 08:03:55 PST 2003

Hi

I tried this just recently, as a friend of mine had recorded some footage on a borrowed
NTSC camera, and only had a pal video player.

Bascally I couldn't get iMovie to render the whole thing in one got. The estimated time
was always approximately 900 + minutes, and after I had left it running overnight there
was invetiably a kernel dump written over the screen in the morning, requiring a power
cycle.

This was on a G3 iMac with 384MB of RAM, MacOS X 10.1.5, running iMovies2. Additionally I
was writting to an NFS share, which seemed to be plenty fast enough, given the rate at
which the file was growing. (The machine was cpu and memory bound as far as I could
tell).

In the end I did this in six 5 minutes chunks and this worked fine.

Just one last thing, and I don't know if this is relevent in your case, when I tried to
import back into iMovies to write back out to the camera (having converted from NTSC to
PAL using Quick Time Pro) iMovies seemed to refuse to import files larger than 2GB.

Hope this helps

Regds

Rob