[MacDV] Re: Safari pros and Cons!

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 8 10:02:27 PST 2003

At 11:08 AM -0600 1/8/03, Danny Grizzle wrote:
>On 1/8/03 10:08 AM, "Steven Rogers" <srogers1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>  What started off as such a simple protocol has now become so
>>  complicated that it seems nobody can write a browser that
>>  correctly handles everything.
>
>Also true: nobody can write a web page that will display correctly in all
>browsers.

Actually, one *can* write a web page that will display correctly
in all browsers. But one cannot write a web page that will
display *consistently* in all browsers. The whole point of the
way markup languages were specified was to allow each browser
to have control over the output of the description. This, I always
felt, was amazingly stupid. Time has (I believe) proved me right.
It's the content providers, not the subscribers, who want to
determine the look and feel of the content.

Ah well.

-- Erica