[MacDV] Re: Safari pros and Cons!

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 8 10:54:03 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 12:37 PM, Erica Sadun wrote:

>> On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 12:02 PM, Erica Sadun wrote:
>>
>>> The whole point of the way markup languages were specified was to
>>> allow each browser to have control over the output of the
>>> description. This, I always felt, was amazingly stupid. Time has (I
>>> believe) proved me right.
>>
>> Its actually more directed at conceptually separating the content
>> from specifics of display to make it portable. The viewer gets to
>> specify things like what <BOLD> is, but that's not really the key
>> motivation. The primary motivator is to create an abstract idea of
>> presentation that makes the content look fairly good across a lot of
>> devices with different sizes and capabilities. Its not as dumb as it
>> looks on the surface.
>
> quoting:
>
> Unlike other common document file formats that represent both content
> and presentation, SGML represents a document's content data and
> structure (interrelationships among the data). Removing the
> presentation from content establishes a neutral format. SGML documents
> and the information in them can easily be re-used by publishing and
> non-publishing applications.
>
> /quoting
>
> (Baby in other arm--sorry about brevity/typos)
>
> Presentation *NOT* part of markup lang philosophy.

They're using "structure" to refer to what I called "abstract
presentation" - whatever you want to call things like the difference
between bold and non-bold text, the point still remains:  the primary
motivation is not to put control of what <BOLD> does in the user's
hands. Its to separate the content and some abstract layout concepts
from the specifics of presentation.

SR