[MacDV] Re: archiving footage on DVD

Randy Wilson WilsonR at fonix.com
Wed Jan 8 13:49:31 PST 2003

>>I have a hundred-plus hours of Hi-8 family movie footage...

>Another option is hard drive archiving....

I was thinking that, too.  It takes about 12GB per hour, so 100 hours
would take 1200GB, which is about $1200 in hard drive at the moment.
Ouch.  However, given another year or two, that will continue to drop.
Since you'd be talking around $400 in tapes anyway, it wouldn't be
totally unreasonable to do hard drives, or at least _start_ to put them
on a hard drive, getting more drives as they get cheaper.  Or, just
hunker down for another 3 years while hard drive prices drop and do it
then, and hope the quality doesn't change much in the mean time.