[MacDV] Re: archiving footage on DVD

Larry Dodge ldodge at eznet.net
Wed Jan 8 14:54:35 PST 2003

I agree with Erica about the DVD compression.   When I look closely at
some very fast moving subjects on DVD's you can easily see the
pixelation.  I have transferred some old VHS tapes of animations we had
to DVD using the pioneer desktop recorder set to the 2 hour mode.  They
have large areas of consistent colors that when move quickly show the
problem real good.  You do not see it even in the VHS tape.  So I have
ended up putting critical things on DV tape and having everything on DVD
that we usually with view and pass around so the tape can be stored and
protected.