[MacDV] Re: archiving footage on DVD

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 8 16:28:19 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 01:08 PM, Erica Sadun wrote:

> For now, I'm very pro-miniDV for archival storage.

I've thought about this a hundred different ways, and there is no good
way, but miniDV tape seems to be the best way. Right now, I'm saving
most of my stuff as DVDs.  There are multiple copies floating around,
so I figure when somebody notices deterioration, I'll dupe another
generation with Toast. Exporting the projects to tape would be better,
but I just don't want to spend the money on tapes.

If there were a burnable media that held about 47 GB instead of 4.7,
then we could burn the projects and restore/re-edit them later. That's
my dream solution. To do that now, you'd have to shell out a thousand
or two for an enterprise tape backup system.

SR