200 gig FireWire drives

Paul Knight paul.knight at internet.co.nz
Thu Jan 9 02:50:59 PST 2003

  Mark ,
Thanks very much for that very timely warning.  It was seeming likely
that I would have had to buy the Western Digital model.
And Richard, thanks too for clearing up the difference in Maxtor drive models:

>One important note, their are Maxtor MaxLine drives, which are much
>higher specification than all other Maxtor IDE drives,

STOP PRESS:  the potentially significant news is that yesterday I
heard that Apple has just announced that, in March, it will put on
the market a 200gig FW drive, designed especially to be suitable for
digital video users.   I understand that it is using a new type of
*bridge*  (whatever that is I don't know) called either Oxford or
Cambridge -- I don't remember which.  I have an URL to refer to but
it is at work.   I will post it to the list, probably tomorrow.  No
mention of price though.

I am currently using a NewMotion 40gig FW drive with OS 9.2.2 and
Adobe Premier 6.5.2 and apart from the fact that it is too small,  I
can capture to it and render and export from it successfully.   Even
real time previews work if I don't ask for too much at once.

Bythe way, during the earlier part of last year, Macformat had a
couple of surveys of such external drives including Western Dig.
the 80gig one came out top.

At 10:16 PM -0800 1/8/03, Mark Glick wrote:
>Paul,
>I just bought the Western Dig 200gig FW EHD.  It's very buggy.  Maybe I
>got a bad one.  It won't let me export to tape.  It also shuts down
>inexplicably leaving me with a nasty message.  Example:  I was copying a
>file from my internal HD to the EHD. My DV camera (Sony TRV20) was in
>the EHD's 2nd port.  I opened the camera to eject the tape (this had
>nothing to do with the operation going on - I removed no cables and
>didn't turn the power to anything on or off) the EHD unmounted from my
>desk top and displayed the nasty note.
>
>ALL:  I missed what apparently was a discussion on the 200 gig drives.
>Why won't the WD drive support export back to tape?

I imagine it should do.

--
from Paul Knight
Home:  (JapanEd)