[MacDV] New Computer

Erick Camp campej at qwest.net
Thu Jan 9 07:46:04 PST 2003

While both machines should be capable of editing the video, you will
probably find that the G4 iMac works best at doing the DVD side of the
operation.  The video that you have created must be converted into
MPEG-2 format.  As it is converted, it will also compress the size of
the video footprint.  You will have no problem fitting a 30 minute
video onto DVD using iDVD which should have shipped with both of your
machines -- if not, Apple just announce a new product called iLife
which includes the latest upgrades to iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie and iDVD
for about $50.00 (U.S. dollars).  Due to the size of iDVD it is not a
down-loadable product.  While iDVD will only write to internal DVD
writers, AFAIK iDVD will produce a DVD image on disk that you can then
use Toast to burn to an external DVD writer.  (Other may want to chime
in at this point?)

With the new iMove3 (part of the above bundle in iLife) you can also
now automatically add chapter points that iDVD recognizes.  This means
that you can mark special points in the movie so that the DVD user has
the option on the opening menu to "jump" to a scene and start playing
the movie from that point.

Good luck.

Erick Camp
2 Penguins Studios