[MacDV] iPod

Shirley Kehr ShirleyKat at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 9 19:54:20 PST 2003

Something that others haven't mentioned is how handy it is for moving
files back and forth. I used to burn CDs at work when I'd download stuff
on the T-1 line. (I only have modem at home.) Now it's so easy to plug
in the iPod and transfer files in seconds.

Also, doing demos for our user group is easier now. I recently showed
Photo to Movie to the Photoshop SIG. I had all of the demo movies and
the software on the iPod. Two other club members had their iPods to do
their demos too (using the club's G4).

One thing that doesn't work well is audible books. I got a free book via
NAPP but it's just one big piece. I have no way to navigate within the
book. It might not have been a problem, but when I ran out of juice
listening to the book, it lost track of where I had last listened. I'd
have to listen to more than an hour again to get back to where I was (or
listen sitting in front of the computer, which is no fun). Someone said
their book was broken up into 45-minute segments. Did it come that way?
Or is there some way we can break up books? The Charles Kuralts America
book had obvious places to break it up, but didn't do that.

Finally, I have 1659 "songs" or 7.8 days of listening time in 12.68 GB.
As with all hard drives, you don't get as much space as they advertise.
With the other files, I have less than 4 GB left. Be sure you understand
the preferences with regard to what should happen when you plug it in. I
leave mine set up on the manual setting until I'm ready to refresh the
songs with the latest CDs I've imported. My music is nearly all
"classical" (meaning serious - not specifically the Classical era) and
it sounds good to me. The smaller ear buds that came with the 20 GB are
much more comfortable than those that came with the 5 GB. However, I
could not hear my music against the drone of a commuter airplane. The
earbuds also worked in the American jack for the movie.

Shirley

P.S. Bonus Question. Someone recently pulled out the corner of a white
power adapter for a TiBook to expose some other connector type. Can you
pull out the corner for the iPod's adapter? If so, what's under there?
I'm afraid to force it.