[MacDV] Re: archiving: mini-DV, DVD or hd? The Sequel

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Fri Jan 10 15:41:26 PST 2003

On Friday, January 10, 2003, at 11:54  AM, Mark O'Brien wrote:

> I recently recorded some 15-20 year old beta tapes onto Digital8 (DV
> on an
> 8mm tape) because I was worried about physical degradation of the beta
> tapes. My thought is they are now on newer media that will last for
> another
> 15-20 years, and I won't suffer any generational loss when I find
> something
> more stable at a reasonable cost down the road. I bought the Digital8
> cassettes in bulk for ~$3/cassette.

That's what I was going to suggest.  Get it onto a new tape NOW -- you
won't lose any (perceptible) quality going to miniDV or Digital8, and
then when you *do* get around to getting an editing system together,
edit them and put the edited versions on DVDs for watching.  You can
always transfer the archived tape copies to a new and better format
later, and since it'll be digital, there won't be a loss in quality.

- Mark F.