[MacDV] Hard Drive Problem Coming?

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sat Jan 11 15:16:06 PST 2003

Hi Chuck,
Where are you? I ask, because that helps me know what kind of deals you
can get on a new HD locally.

If you are in California or New York, I would get a 8 MB buffered 120
on sale somewhere that you can move to your new Mac. Should be able to
find it for around $120-$150 after rebate. I would wait for the next PM
refresh before I bought a new Tower. The current line is noisy.
http://www.g4noise.com

Don't forget to download iMovie 3 and iPhoto 2 on Saturday 1.25. They
should make producing your project a lot easier. When you get your
Spring 2003 Mac with DVR-105 SuperDrive and iDVD3, your project will be
iDVD ready if you use iMovie 3 to compose it.

The 40 may or may not be near death. Putting in the 120 and copying
everything to it in 9.2 is no problem. Do you have a copy of Jaguar? No
excuse. It's free to teachers through March 31st.
http://www.apple.com/education/macosxforteachers/

Partition the 120 giving yourself 10 GB for Jaguar (the first
partition), 5-10GB for 9.2.2, maybe a couple of 50GB partitions for the
iMovie scratch disks. Then copy all your stuff from the 40 to the 120
as backup.

Any questions?