[MacDV] iDVD3 + DVR-105 Inside or Out?

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sat Jan 11 19:25:13 PST 2003

You were supposed to PAY for the rain check so you got it for $220 to
begin with.

Your Ti500 won't allow for a SuperDrive retrofit. 667 and 800 TiBooks
will. But the upgrade is about $450. Ouch!

No work around for iDVD3 to work outside the box unless you have a Cube.

PowerBook and iBook owners have several choices. Buy a refurbished eMac
with SuperDrive for about $1199. Buy a used G4-733 with a SuperDrive
(the first one should be available for less than $999). Or sell your
Ti500 and buy a GHz TiBook with Superdrive at the new lower price of
$2800. Buy a refurbished or used 15" G4 iMac for less than $1500. Or
buy any old G4 and put a 105 inside. You have got to have a Mac that
either has one inside or one that you can put one inside.

The Cube core can be pulled and the optical power and IDE connectors
are long enough to reach outside that naked core to allow a 105 to be
thought by the computer to be inside the Cube while in fact it's
running outside the box. It ain't pretty, but it works.

All G4 tower owners can put a 105 inside easily and put what was inside
in a FireWire box or forgetaboutit. You can even hack any G4 Tower to
fit any two 5.25" drives. I know because I even did it with my old B&W
G3 Tower — the precursor to all G4 Towers.