[MacDV] archiving: mini-DV, DVD or hd? The Sequel

Frank Fitzpatrick ffitzpatrick at cox.net
Sun Jan 12 13:10:48 PST 2003

To Malcolm and all,
My 2 cents worth.

For the highest quality:
Since you have Avid Xpress DV, first of all get a miniDV camcorder that is
Avid DV Express compatible.  [You said you wanted to ger one.]  [If you can
swing it financially, get a 3 CCD camera, the quality is far better for new
recording through the lens.]

Put your analog tape into your Hi8 VCR or your hi8 camera and then capture
to the mini-DV camcorder which should be put in VTR mode. Your miniDV
camcorder needs an analog input for this, for Sony miniDV camcorders it's
one RCA plug with video, left audio and right audio for your  analog side;
and a combined plug for all three on the miniDV side of the cable.  Let your
miniDV camcorder record  at normal speed, not extended time. Record 60
minutes to a 60 minute tape, not 90 minutes, for example.

If the camcorder is compatible with Avid, then it must already include, [but
check anyway] a Firewire connector for recording FROM the computer and
capturing TO the computer. Since mini-DV is already a compressed format,
when you capture clips they are not compressed more or degraded any further
unless you edit AND add some effects.
So, open Avid, and capture to your computer with that software.

Once the files are on your hard disk, copy them via your SuperDrive or other
compatible INTERNAL DVD burner. [I believe Avid when capturing to a Mac MUST
create QuickTime files just as FCP does.]
Archive by creating  a DATA DVD not a DVD movie. In that way [making a data
archive] you are just copying the files from your computer to the DVD disk.
.
Anyone please feel free to chime in if you know is a better way to preserve
quality.

Frank Fitzpatrick
Cranston, RI
NOT the Frank Fitzpatrick of frankfitzpatrick.com,
I'm the OTHER one.
--
My amateurish-always-being-revised-but-informative web sites:
http://members.cox.net/franks-brain [about me and the Father Porter case,