[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 12 14:26:27 PST 2003

I don't think he's kidding. I think he's sorry to be strongarmed into an
operating system that is still not ready for prime time, IMO. And before
anyone gripes and derides me for being a fogy and a hanger-on, try being in
the audio business and being cornered into using X. Two years and three
major versions later, there are still issues there. ProTools is just now
due to become compatible. DECK remains problematical for many, even with
the latest updates of both OSX and DECK installed. Many people have
reported problems with a variety of audio apps under X that remain
unresolved, or are sometimes exacerbated, with Jaguar.

And if one of your other hats is making serious art prints, try checking in
with Epson on when their latest drivers (for the fabulous 2200, for
instance) will be fully operational outside Classic. Many of the functions,
like edge to edge printing, are unsupported in OSX and Epson has not, to my
knowledge, stated an intention to change that anytime soon.

I continue to use 9 because it's stable. I can already hear the anvil
chorus of "My OSX is more stable than 9 ever was." Well, jolly good, but
that isn't my experience. My brother was an early adopter of OSX and
continues to have problems, right into Jaguar, and he is (and I am) an
extremely experienced Macintosh user.

Apple makes it very tempting to venture into X, and I do on occasion, to
use iDVD, for instance. Their iLife series is cooler than a moose at the
North Pole. I'll spring the $49 for the new set and call it a bargain. But
I too wish Apple had respected my choice of platform and workflow, rather
than being so controlling and demanding about forcing their still-evolving
new OS down everyone's throat, however wide and willing some of those
throats may be.

I realize no one is forcing me to use X... at least until I buy a new Mac,
an option I'll weigh and consider when that time comes. In the meantime, my
new Powerbook 1Gig boots up nicely in 9 or I would not have bought it, and
will continue to do so until the rest of the applications I use are fully
compatible and reside happily within X. Perhaps in two years (my average
between large new computer purchases) the rest of the world will have
caught up with Jobs' vision.

Meanwhile, I don't blame Sean for regretting the lack of choice in this area.

19 new Nature images online at  http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
Voice over -- http://www.bob-vo.com