[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

Phyllis Evans pmevans at mac.com
Mon Jan 13 14:38:54 PST 2003

Just my little 2¢ worth on the subject. Apple had to stop developing
for OS 9 sometime. Jaguar is the most stable upgrade that I can
remember in years, and I go back to 6.whatever (I think it was 6.7)
when the multifinder was introduced. As long as they keep developing OS
9, other software companies will drag their feet on the move to OS X.
My primary word processor is Nisus because of the glossary feature, and
if they don't release at least a beta VERY soon, they've lost me as a
customer. That and my LabelWriter software are the only things I run in
Classic. If companies think that we will continue to run OS 9 or
Classic, they have no incentive to get off their behinds and develop
for OS X. How long should a company continue to support an old system?
It takes a lot of extra work to make the current machines run in OS 9,
and that translates into extra money that could be going into R & D for
future systems.

I agree that 10.1 was not a great system, and while I played with it, I
didn't make the move to 10 until the release of Jaguar. Since making
the move, I've never looked back. Yes, I had to limber up the gray
matter and learn a few new things, but it was worth it. It's time to
move on. If you're happy with OS 9, then use it, but don't criticize
Apple for lighting a fire under the developers out there to get with
it. If Adobe can do it, so can others.