[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 13 18:25:30 PST 2003

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 05:26 PM, Gerhard Kuhn wrote:

> You must be the kind of customer they dream of, one born every minute.
>  Using analogy then if I bought a car that broke down every other day
> it might be safe but I would should not expect it to be fixed?  . . .

This is a misleading analogy because a car, even today's complex cars,
are literally millions of times less complex than an auto. You buy a
car for basically one purpose - to drive. You don't often pull the rear
wheel and throw on a generator or make other modifications that change
it from the way it left the factory. There's basically one kind of gas
and a few kinds of oil. The manufacturer tells you when to change the
oil, and if you use it exactly as it was intended, it lasts until it
wears out. If you drive it in a way that's not in line with what the
manufacturer proscribes, or you change its configuration in any way,
your warranty is void and you're on your own.

If you were willing to take your computer as delivered from the
manufacturer with the software they provide and never change the
configuration and use it *only* for the purposes they describe, then
you'd have a nice analogy with a car. Personally, I don't want to use
my computer that way.

And the idea that "If they'd only *told* me in advance that computers
weren't perfect, then it would be fair" is not realistic. The kind of
issues we're talking about here represent the state of the art in
computers. Its not like there's some computer manufacturer who's
turning out software without bugs and seamlessly upgrading hardware
while Apple screws its customer base with inferior product. As a
consumer, you have some responsibility to make yourself aware of what
you're buying. No reasonably informed consumer should expect a seamless
user experience (unless the computer's configuration is never changed).
  If you thought buying a computer would be analogous to buying a car,
then you need to do some more research on the state of the art in
computers.

SR