[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

Randy Cypherd randynj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 14 16:01:18 PST 2003

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 06:26  PM, Gerhard Kuhn wrote:

> The iDVD program not recognizing outside the box DVD-R drives is
> another Apple policy that rubs me the wrong way (though not affecting
> me since I have a superdrive) and in my opinion is a money grab by
> Apple at the expense of their loyal followers.

It's an MPEG-2 licensing issue.  Period.  If they wanted to make iDVD
burn to ANY DVD-R they could -- and they would charge you for the
license fee.  And you'd be pissed.  The licensing fee is embedded in
the cost of Mac's that come with a super drive.  It's easy to override
-- except that Apple legal will go after you (and have) if you tell the
secret.  And they should.

Those of us with Super Drives paid for an MPEG-2 license.  Those who
buy external DVD-R burners didn't.  It's really that simple.

Maybe Apple should offer an iDVD app for external burners and charge
US$100 (or whatever).  But you'd still be pissed.

Randy