[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

SLarsonIH at aol.com SLarsonIH at aol.com
Tue Jan 14 18:01:02 PST 2003

I disagree. I'd pay the $100 (and I don't think it would be anywhere near
that high) vs the $1000 for the software you need now or $2500 and up for a
new machine. It is not a licensing issue. It is a "Buy a new Mac issue".
Almost every step they've taken has been to force users to buy new Macs. It
took one programmer a very short period of time to make it so OSX could be
used on older Macs. And no, I'm not suggesting that Apple pour time and money
into supporting/updating OS9.x, etc.

I've got OSX installed on my mchine, and to be honest, maintaining it uses a
lot more of my time than any previous Mac OS. I don't like that it forces me
to use my Mac the way Apple wants me to, instead of the other way around.
There are a number of other issues and bad experiences with OSX that
leave/left a bad taste in my mouth. I boot into OSX every once in a while
(usually a new promising app) and after getting frustrated, I can't wait to
get back to OS9. I'm not even going to get into the "not supported" issue. I
think it's great that Apple has migrated to OSX. I will too, once they
resolve things, or I get a new Dual whatever.

STeve

<< It's an MPEG-2 licensing issue.  Period.  If they wanted to make iDVD
burn to ANY DVD-R they could -- and they would charge you for the
license fee.  And you'd be pissed.  The licensing fee is embedded in
the cost of Mac's that come with a super drive.  It's easy to override
-- except that Apple legal will go after you (and have) if you tell the
secret.  And they should.

Those of us with Super Drives paid for an MPEG-2 license.  Those who
buy external DVD-R burners didn't.  It's really that simple.

Maybe Apple should offer an iDVD app for external burners and charge
US$100 (or whatever).  But you'd still be pissed.

Randy >>