[MacDV] iDVD history?

Mark Florida markflo at mac.com
Tue Jan 14 21:21:18 PST 2003

On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 09:23PM, L.Cornelio <cornelio at san.rr.com> wrote:

>could someone give me a short rundown on iDVD - I havent used it but now
>have the chance, though I am still cobfidently using 9.2.2  rather than
>Jag.
>
>All I have noticed at quick glance
>=====
>
>iDVD 1.0 will work w OS9 -60 min limit on what it can create.
>
>iDVD 2- needs X? still a 60 min limit? what ere the major upgrade
>features?

iDVD 2 will let you encode up to 90 minutes onto a DVD-R

>iDVD 3 - coming soon for $50 = can accept iMovie 3 chapters, will encode
>direct to mpeg2, no need to use quicktime.

Uh...  "direct to mpeg2?"  You don't have to manually export clips even with iDVD 1 and 2.  Are you talking about iMovie's "Export to iDVD" function -- that really just combines your edited video (from the timeline) into one big file so it will play completely on a DVD.  From my understanding, iMovie 3 with iDVD 3 eliminates this interem exporting step, and will even let you set chapter markers that iDVD 3 can read...  I can't wait!