[MacDV] Re: Firewire drive rotation speed

Geno Kearney geno.kearney at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 15 04:36:49 PST 2003

Hello MacDV friends,

I'm looking at large external devices for editing movies from and storing
large image files. How critical is rotation speed. LaCie always seems to
have a slightly slower rotation spee for their largest drive. Right now the
rotation speeds are 7200 for drives up to 400gb but only 5400 for the 500gb
drive. I have a 160gb drive that is 5400 rpm and occaisionaly get a "drive
responded slowly" message. I'm not sure if it had to do with the rotation
speed. It was usually after it was dormant for a while. Any opinion
appreciated. Thanks.

Geno