[MacDV] Re: iMovie3 for OS 9 as well?

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 15 06:25:03 PST 2003

Mark writes:

>Having said that, I think Apple is making a lot of wise choices looking
>towards the future.  The way they are building the OS, the way new apps
>are written, in a few years Microsoft will be trying to figure out how to
>build an OS that's *HALF* of what the Mac OS will be...  that's my
>prediction...

That is their thinking, I'm sure. But we know that nothing is more
transitory than a given stage of technological progress. I have no doubt
that Microsoft is/has been tearing OSX apart to see how it can be altered
slightly, brought more over to the Windows heritage, and released as
Windows/U or something. It's important to progress, and there are jillions
of people who will pay for the privilege, as that nervy "Pay $30 to
Beta-test Our Alpha OSX" thing proved. But, OTOH, there are lots of
professional people who rely on their computers at almost a neurological
level, and can't afford the view from the "leading edge.? Apple has
alienated some of us long-time users by their strongarm march into the
future.

As to the "politics" of discouraging external DVD burners, there's nothing
political about it. It's butt-simple economics. As Mark pointed out, they
make lots of money, and I'll add that they also make a huge contribution to
the advancement of personal DVD technology, by giving away iDVD and
demanding that you use it only on their hardware. It's a free program, a
premium for the money you spent on the Superdrive-equipped machine.
Eventually, it's possible that they'll have to cave into pressure from the
Windows side and its more liberal policies. But the programs mentioned for
DVD burning on Windows aren't free. In the meantime, it would be nice to
see a DVD EXpress that would give Mac users the choice of using an external
DVD burner, but would cost a reasonable amount of money. I think Windows-OS
programs of this type are available in, what, the $80 range? From the
traffic and intensity on this list, it would be a great seller.

Bobbo

19 new Nature images online at  http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
Voice over -- http://www.bob-vo.com