[MacDV] Unwanted iMovie audio fades!

Randy Wilson WilsonR at fonix.com
Wed Jan 15 08:28:57 PST 2003

This is a well-known bug (at least by people on this mailing list--not
sure if Apple ever believed us!:)

We're not sure exactly what causes this problem (well, of course it's a
bug in iMovie 2 for OS X, but we're not sure the exact situations where
it pops up), but it appears to happen when there is at least one audio
or video clip that has an audio fade-out selected for it.  Someone
suggested it might have to do with having overlapping audio clips.  But
regardless of where it came from, there are three workarounds:

1. After doing all your editing, reboot into OS 9 and export the movie
from there.  Annoying, but effective.

2. Go ahead and select fade-out on the audio clips that are not
supposed to fade out, and set the fade-out time to 0.  I haven't
experimented much with this, but was told it should work (double-check,
though).  This avoids having to boot into OS 9, but does require
selecting a bunch of video and audio clips and setting their fade-out
times to 0, which might be more of a hassle than booting into OS 9.

3. Wait 10 days and get iMovie 3.  Hopefully this bug has been fixed by
then (oh please, oh please).  This would require having OS X 10.2
("Jaguar"), though.

Have you also noticed how the thumbnail images for your video clips go
all whacky when you "undo" anything? So has everyone else.  I hope I
hope that this is fixed in iMovie 3, too, or else I ain't buyin'
Jaguar.

--Randy

>>> forbis at vl.videotron.ca 01/15/03 08:58AM >>>
Hi...

I recently switched from OS 9 to OS X, and when I fired up iMovie,
(2.1.2) I found a lot of my voice over tracks were fading in and out,
without being asked to! Really annoying! Though my sound tracks are
chock full of effects and music from CD and mic-ed in  voice over, the

project is not all that heavy as I am using mostly still images. The
same project worked flawlessly in OS 9.

Any ideas?

And thanks.

Amanda

<http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/MacDV.html>.
Send a message to <MacDV-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the
digest version.

 XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

   Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
   Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only
$879!