[MacDV] Re: Preview Doesn't Work on DVDSP

Gregg Gorrie ggorrie at telus.net
Sat Jan 18 15:22:30 PST 2003

on 1/18/03 9:55 AM, Frank Wiewandt at fwphoto at adelphia.net wrote:

> Ira,
>
> I posted this a few days ago, but it might help.

> Just a new note here, I was told that DVDSP was on DVD & not CD-ROM &
> that you need a least a DVD-ROM to install it. You mention you only
> have a CD-RW so that part might not correct, but the part about
> needing an internal DVD player might still hold up.

DVD Studio Pro is on CD ... I have installed it on my machine with CD-RW
only.

>> Previewing the actual burn requires, well, burning the DVD &
>> previewing it. ;-) It was suggested that I get a few DVD-RWs for
> that
>> task.

The whole idea of "preview" is to enable you to view the project >BEFORE<
burning it - so as not to waste DVD media while you put everything together.

Ira, I get the same message as you: ".....no compatible DVD Video decoding
hardware available." I found a patch somewhere (can't remember where at the
moment) that did enable me to install Apple DVD Player 2.7, but I thought
this was an issue only because I'm using an old Power Mac clone. Even after
installing it, DVDSP still won't let me preview with it. From my
understanding, Apple DVD Player is software-based, meaning you don't need
hardware to decode DVD.

If I have any progress, I'll update to this list.

--
Gregg