iMac G3, Ext. DVD burner & authoring options

Randy Clark hawkgx at planetkc.com
Sun Jan 19 18:20:53 PST 2003

First, the pertinent specs:

Mac: G3 iMac 500mhz DV SE
OS: 10.2.3
Burner: external DVR-105 in a Firewire case
Software: iMovie 2.1.2; Toast 5.1.1

I'm trying to find out my options for DVD authoring with this setup.  I
already know iDVD is out of the question (external burner); and DVD Studio
Pro is out as well (req. G4 and costs way too much anyway).

I guess for now, I'm just interested in being able to produce basic DVD
videos. No menus or chapters are necessary at this point.  I've been stuck
creating VideoCDs through iMovie, and while the permanence of the VideoCDs
is nice, the video quality is disappointing.

I know Toast 5.1.1 will burn to DVDs, but is there a relatively simple way
for me to take my iMovies, export them to a suitable format and then burn it
to a DVD for viewing on my home DVD player?

Monosyllabic answers are okay, seeing as I'm pretty much a desktop video
novice.

--
Randy Clark
hawkgx at planetkc.com