[MacDV] Problem converting 8mm film

Maurice Kay mmkj at swbell.net
Tue Jan 21 14:38:29 PST 2003

Well, at last making progress; although it hasn't been quick. I'm a slow
learner.  Thanks again to Preston, James, and Steven for their helpful
suggestions

I took the Sima Photo Kit 2 out of the process and that helped. I tried
projecting the film onto a regular movie screen and a white foam core
board. The white board is much better. After experimentation, turned off
steadyshot and auto focusing. For me, the results were better leaving
the exposure and shutter alone.

One other problem I encountered was with the camcorder microphone (Sony
DCR-TRV310). There is no way to turn it off. Consequently, it picked up
the noise of the film projector and incorporated it in the download to
iMovie (these are all silent movies). I happened to have a plug, from
Radio Shack that I bought a long time ago for another setup, that I
stuck in the external microphone jack. It works, and I don't have to
mess with that sound in iMovie.

While I wait for delivery of iLife I'm transferring the film to digital
tape and going through old photos to incorporate in my family saga.
Given my skills, I'll probably be back with questions about using the
"Ken Burns' Effect."

Regards,
Maurice