[MacDV] Re: Problem converting 8mm film

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 21 14:51:22 PST 2003

On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 04:38 PM, Maurice Kay wrote:

> I took the Sima Photo Kit 2 out of the process and that helped. I
> tried projecting the film onto a regular movie screen and a white foam
> core board. The white board is much better. After experimentation,
> turned off steadyshot and auto focusing. For me, the results were
> better leaving the exposure and shutter alone.

Yeah - me too. Its amazing to me that "auto" works in such an unusual
situation, but it does.

> One other problem I encountered was with the camcorder microphone
> (Sony DCR-TRV310). There is no way to turn it off. Consequently, it
> picked up the noise of the film projector and incorporated it in the
> download to iMovie (these are all silent movies). I happened to have a
> plug, from Radio Shack that I bought a long time ago for another
> setup, that I stuck in the external microphone jack. It works, and I
> don't have to mess with that sound in iMovie.

Another thing you can do is dictate notes to yourself, or do the copy
with family in the room so you can quiz them about who/what/where for
each scene and it will just be recorded into the sound track. If the
sound annoys you, you can always uncheck it on the far right part of
the tracks in iMovie. I leave it on until I'm ready to work with music,
then I just turn the camera sound off.

SR