VCD Help

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Tue Jan 21 18:41:07 PST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:31:29 -0600, Michael Winter <winter at mac.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 01:58  PM, Thubten Kunga wrote:
>
>>  I spoke of success too soon.
>>
>>  I repeatedly get a total crash/freeze must restart computer in the
>>  middle of the Export to QuickTime to Toast VCD (NTSC) procedure.
>
>Problems like this have been fixed in the past (for me anyway) by
>making sure everything is current. That includes Toast, iMovie,
>QuickTime, and the OS. My current setup is :
>
>Toast Titanium 5.2
>iMovie 2.1.2
>QuickTime 6.1
>Mac OS X 10.2.3
>
>If you still can't get it to work, try exporting as a Quicktime movie
>using full, uncompressed resolution (don't remember what its called and
>it will take a lot of drive space). You should then be able to drag
>that file onto Toast Titanium and it will do the conversion then
>instead. See <http://www.roxio.com/en/interest/video/vidcapmac.jhtml>
>and scroll down to the "Automatic MPEG Encoding" section.
>
>Some of the other pages at
><http://www.roxio.com/en/interest/video/index.jhtml> may also be of
>interest..

I'm not the OP, but I have a similar problem, apparently.

I managed to create a Video CD using this technique. Originally,
Toast 5.2 would give me the message  "This preview version of Toast
Video CD has expired" after it started to encode my QT movie (I first
tried this on 1/1/03 -- rotten timing). I eventually learned that the
5.2 updater I had downloaded months earlier was a premature release
that had an expiration date for some components.

I downloaded the latest 5.2 updater, removed my old Toast 5.2,
installed the 5.0 version (using Classic), and then performed the
update to 5.2 again.

This got rid of the expiration problem in Toast, and I was able to
produce a Video CD as you described above.

But I still don't have the Toast Video CD option in iMovie 2.1.2's
QuickTime Export formats popup menu (I've got QT Pro 6.1). I/ve tried
iMovie both with and without the Toast Video CD Export files in both
/Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/Plug-ins and in
~/Library/iMovie/Plug-ins.

Of course, I guess this will soon be a moot point, at least
temporarily. I've got iLife on order, and I read today that iMovie 3
breaks the linkage to Toast 5.2 (Roxio is apparently working on a
fix).

But anyway, if anyone has any ideas about what's going on here, I'd
still appreciate the info.

Thanks.
--
Gordon Alley  <*>