Back UP storage options???

Frank Flynn frank at declan.com
Tue Jan 21 21:13:45 PST 2003

On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 07:52 PM, Macintosh Digital Video List
wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:51:38 -0500
> Subject: [MacDV] Re: Back UP storage options???
> From: RFD <rfd1 at mac.com>
>
> on 1/21/03 8:13 PM, Macintosh Digital Video List at
> MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
>
> You might want to take a look at the Granite Digital's Hot Swap Drive
> Systems. They are a brilliant solution for large scale archiving
> problems.
>
> Basically, you only need one external Firewire drive case and a $29.95
> tray
> for each 3.5" IDE drive. You can have an unlimited number of drives on
> hand.
>
> The trays are not much larger than the drive itself, so they can be
> easily
> stored and cataloged. Shop for the best price on the 3.5" drive you
> need,
> pop it in a tray and you're off and running.
>
> <http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/
> pg26_firewireidehotswapdrive.htm>
> <http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/
> pg32_firewiresmarthotswapdrive.htm>
>
> You can shop for bare drives here (as well as a thousand other places):
>
> <http://www.newegg.com/app/
> viewProduct.asp?submit=list&catalog=14&DEPA=1&ord
> er=price&sort=asc>*
> <http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/
> ThirdCategoryList.jsp?SecondCategoryCode=0110
>>

> Hope this helps,
>
> Bob

At $1/Gb which is around the best commonly available price performance
ratio for HD's this is surprisingly reasonable.  I did look at DLT
tapes but they are about $100 for a 40-70Gb tape (40 uncompressed / 70
compressed but you can't always count on getting 70Gb on a tape) Plus
the drives are expensive, you need SCSI (which I do have but not on all
my machines) and then there's software for it.

Just buying new HD's seems cheapest - go figure....

Thanks,
Frank