Back UP storage options???

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Wed Jan 22 06:06:31 PST 2003

On ed, 22 Jan 2003 14:34:17 +0900, Daniel Beck <danielbeck at mac.com> wrote:
>Hi Frank,
>
>On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 02:11 PM, Frank Flynn wrote:
>
>>  Interesting - but what about recapturing the project - I mean
>>  supposing I have a project half edited that I want to shelve for a
>>  while?  I could print out to video what I had done but if I want
>>  access to some clip I have not yet placed I'l need the original files
>>  - no?  Again I could reimport the source but then all the editing info
>>  is lost.
>
>No, you're thinking like iMovie. Because of time code, you can keep the
>project file and delete the media files. Then, when you want to work on
>it again, you open the project file, and it will ask for the tapes by
>the names you gave them when you log them. So, you go to the shelf and
>get said tapes (because you were careful to give it the same names on
>the label as in logging), and capture. No editing info lost. That's why
>I think FCP is better than iMovie for anyone who does any amount of
>editing. iMovie is great for people who don't do so much editing. I
>think it's great. But FCP blows it away.

[...]

How does FCP deal with time code breaks in a source tape? I have some
video where the time code gets reset because of a gap in the
recording. Would I have to import the remainder of the video with a
different tape name?

I'm actually interested in Final Cut Express, but of course it's not
out yet. Hopefully it will behave like FCP in this case.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>