Buying a DVD Player in the UK?

Tuckerman Moss tmoss at mac.com
Wed Jan 22 09:10:20 PST 2003

Okay!  I've burned some nifty DVD's on my G4 and they're super.  But
now I want to see them on my TV - and I know that not all DVD players
will play DVD-R discs.  I also know that the conventional wisdom is to
take a disk to your local store and try it.  This just doesn't work in
my corner of the UK because a) I want a multi-region player and none of
the local store carry them (illegal, they whisper - even though I know
they're not) b) none of the stores are eager enough to make a sale for
them to bother to hook a DVD up to a TV to let me try it.

So - does anyone know from experience a UK-available DVD player that
will reliably play Mac-generated DVD-R discs.  And how about DVD-RW
discs.  If I can identify a couple of machines that really will play
these then I can do the rest - multi-region chipping is widely
available on the web here.  Given my druthers it will be a Philips,
play both NTSC and PAL in and out, and be on the cheap side.

Many thanks,  Tuck

--
Tuckerman Moss • The Old Vicarage • West Anstey • United Kingdom