DVR-105 & OS X support

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Wed Jan 22 13:37:20 PST 2003

Kunga:

>What is "NON-RATED MEDIA"?

Non-rated media are those with no speed rating label (1x, 2x, 4x,
etc).  They are the original design spec media, and only meant for
1x,  although nothing on either the package or disk itself says
anything about speed rating.  Go into any computer retail store, and
you'll find some brands of DVD-R which have no speed rating.

>What are you paying to whom for this media?

I bought a 10 pack of Fujifilm DVD-R when I picked up my 105, just to
have some to use immediately.  It was not a bulk bargain.

>  You find any "non-rated" media that records @ 2x
>for that kind of price (in quantity)?

The Fujifilm work fine at 2x, but they were $1.55 each in the 10
pack.  My needs are modest enough that I'm not going to bother with
super low media prices, so I'm willing to pay the premium for 4x
rated disks for now.  I just received a 10 pack, but have not yet had
the chance to try them (still composing the movie).  I'll report back
with the results.

Pioneer has a page listing 2x compatible media:

<http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00003r_e.html>

Note that these are the OEM manufacturers.  If you don't know the
actual manufacturer of your brand-name disks, they may not work at
2x.  Fujifilm is made by Taiyo-Yuden, and they work fine for me.