EyeTV to DVD?

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Thu Jan 23 07:09:52 PST 2003

I've been recording my wife's favorite cooking show to VCD for a few months,
fitting two half-hour shows on each CD. The latest version of EyeTV software
allows me to edit out the commercials, and I can now record three half-hour
shows (edited down to 22:10 or thereabouts) on each CD.

But it's still VCD quality. If I select EyeTV's High Quality setting, which
is not compatible with the VCD standard, is there a way to manipulate them
into the proper format and burn more shows at a higher quality to DVD? I'm
assuming I can't just save them to QuickTime (an EyeTV menu option) and drop
them on iDVD for MPEG2 encoding - or can I?

I have an iMac G4 with SuperDrive, iDVD, iMovie, QT 6.1 Pro, and Toast
Titanium 5.2. I've ordered iLife to get the latest versions of the iApps
(though I understand they'll be delayed).

Can I do what I want with this setup? How? If not, do I need some
third-party apps, like Sizzle and ffmpeg?
--
Mark O'Brien
AIM: rmarkob