Time spent making a DVD.

SLarsonIH at aol.com SLarsonIH at aol.com
Thu Jan 23 12:15:30 PST 2003

I've got a maxed out 8600, which I love, but the more I deal with trying to
make DVD's (just got the 105), and how much of a pain it is trying to use OS9
and X on the same machine, I'm starting to think that I'd be better off with
two machines. As I understand it, when you make a DVD, the machine is tied up
doing importing, encoding and burning. Is that true?

Let's say that you want to take a show (1 hour + commercials) that you taped,
import it, remove commercials, encode and then burn, roughly, how much time
would you say that the computer is sitting there working, that you can't
really use it? I'm guessing, at least 2 or 3 hours.

So, that got me to thinking. Since the computer is going to be tied up a lot
anyway, why try to kludge the whole thing on my 8600. So, I did a little
looking at specs, and it seems to me that the Sawtooth is the way to go.
Oldest (cheapest) and AGP. It seems they all have 100MHz bus. What about the
Yikes or Yosemite? Is there another newer model I ought to consider? I have a
second monitor already, so that is covered.

Are there faster processors out there for them? Can a take a Dual 1.25 out of
a newer model and stick it in, and have it work, or do I need to get a newer
Dual processor model? Anybody taken a Sawtooth or newer model and put it in a
86/9600 case, etc. Thoughts anyone?

STeve