[MacDV] Re: Problem converting 8mm film

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Thu Jan 23 12:35:03 PST 2003

(kind of off-topic, but...)

I was one of the original (pioneering) production techs on a project to
help people make a life biography, and it includes interviews and
digital preservation and archiving of photos and video.  It doesn't
cost a thing if you buy one of their pre-arranged funeral packages,
though.  They own a famous old cemetery in Hollywood with some
old-school movie stars.  Maybe some of you have seen their thing on
HBO?  I haven't been with that company for a few years (it was managed
VERY poorly), and I'm glad to say I have nothing to do with their
website (which is awful in my opinion), but here it is:

http://www.forevernetwork.com/

It just sucks that a project with such vision and financial backing
(they're part of a huge life insurance company) can botch up a project
through bad management and screwed-up politics (resulting in the awful
web site and current production practices).  I guess my main thing is
that I share the vision of helping people preserve their memories
(photos/video), but I don't have the resources to start my own similar
company.  So I do what I can to at least make sure I have the media
archive under control for my own family... that's enough work for me!

I lost my grandpa this past year to cancer, and I was perpetually
trying to start the archiving of his old home movies to DVD.  I'm sorry
to say that he only got to see a couple of rough transfers on VHS
before I had all of the kinks worked out of the transfer process.  But
I *do* still intend to get the darn things transfered.

Just some thoughts.  Guess I had to get some stuff off my chest.

- Mark