[MacDV] Re: Time spent making a DVD.

Brett Koonce brett at jpkoonce.net
Thu Jan 23 15:34:37 PST 2003

> Well, the capture is real time. You may or may not want to supervise
> that. Then the editing takes a couple of minutes, then exporting a QT
> file from iMovie takes about 1/3 real time (on my 867) and making the
> DVD itself in iDVD takes about 2x real time for the encoding and
> burning, but the machine is only tied up for the burning part, which
> is about 70% of view time.

If you slide the iDVD Encoding/Burning window over to the side of your
screen, you can merrily go on your way using other apps under OS X.

> Of course, if you make your DVD with some other tool that produces an
> image file that can be burned with Disk Copy or Toast, your computer
> isn't tied up at all - it can run in the background.

After I've created a disk, I use Toast to create a master image, which
I then use to burn all further DVD's.  This system works pretty well.

Back RE the original question:

This is a lot of work to put some cooking shows on DVD so you can watch
them later.  I'd suggest looking into a PVR such as a Tivo.

-Brett Koonce
www.universe42.com