Video CDs

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Sun Jan 26 07:45:58 PST 2003

On 1/25/03 at 9:43 AM, David Thrasher <idave at earthlink.net> transmitted
the following electronic message:

>Has anyone found a brand of CD for making Video CDs that seems to work
>on any DVD player that is capable of playing this format? I've been
>attempting to make a Video CD and so far it will play on my Pioneer,
>and my girlfriend's Magnavox but it is for some reason not recognized
>my friend's Sony. I know his will play Video CDs because I once did a
>test when I owned a PC (a very bad experience, but I digress) where I
>burnt a short test. I used CompUSA's generic brand that time. This
>time around I tried PNY and IMation brands but with no luck on the
>Sony.

You aren't going to find one, in all likelihood. There is a difference
between pressed CDs/VCDs and burned CD-Rs. The lasers in a number of
models just will not recognize CD-R media. There is a chance, though,
since you mention it is a Sony, that it will read CD-RW media (both one
of my brothers and a friend have Sony DVD players that refuse CD-R but
accept CD-RW).

I would suggest that you get the specific model number and check the DVD
Player compatibility guide located at www.vcdhelp.com to see what
formats and media that player will recognize.

--Dennis Cohen
  iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, & iDVD Bible
  Macworld MacOS X Bible
  and other fine titles