[MacDV] iMovie camcorder compatibility

Kevin Ledgister kledgister at mac.com
Tue Jan 28 08:57:28 PST 2003

I had bought a Samsung miniDV camcorder in December and returned it for a Canon.  Although the Samsung had some nice features such as a high optical zoom that is usually only found in cameras twice it's price, iMovie would not recognize it in OS X.  I had to boot into OS 9 and run iMovie from there to import clips.

Because of this, I was constantly going back and forth because some of my iMovie filters and effects were for OS X only.  Not only that, but whenever you got to the end of a clip followed by blank tape, it would record the last image and it

Don't ask me why it worked in OS 9 and not OS X but if you visit the iMovie Discussions on Apple's Suport pages, you will find others who experienced the same thing and additional reasons.

This lack of support surprises me since Apple invested over $100 million into Samsung's monitor division a year or two back to guarantee it's LCD monitor supply.

I bought a Canon ZR45MC which seems to work really well (of course, Steve Jobs has a personal tie with a bigwig(s) at Canon which helps) and has some nice features including an analog to DV converter.

Kevin