New Towers, Old Towers, LCDs, OS9, OSX, etc...

KathyMac! Mac4Music at MusiCareOnline.org
Tue Jan 28 16:52:56 PST 2003

Macintosh Digital Video List1/28/03 5:25 PMMacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com

> (Pardon me butting in).
>
> No - it doesn't work at all.
>
> "Can't find Native Audio Engine" then quits.
>
> Classic mode is NOT the same as OS9.
> Many applications do not run.

Correct. Classic mode just isn't the same as a full OS9.
But even if it was...what can I say? The truth is I love 9 and don't want to
be forced into a full life of X before I am ready. Call me spoiled,
stubborn, or whatever....I just like what I like and I don't like being
controlled. I WILL use X for video and other things. The iLife suite is an
amazing set of apps for video as is the new FCExpress. But it feels like
Communism having X forced down my throat with manuevers like making machines
that refuse to boot in 9.

Ok, so maybe it's a hardware and chipset issue now and labor is money and
time is money. I understand. But NOW I see on the website that the new 20
inch LCD REQUIRES Jaguar to run. ???? What is the purpose of making a
monitor that way? Is it not to control the public and force them into buying
the X only machines if they want a nice LCD? It doesn't make much sense to
me. What about everyone on the planet right now running 9 in nice (albeit
slightly older) G4 towers that would like to add a display? Monitors are
supposed to be more universal than that.

So, that's one bee in my bonnet...

Now...I do see that we still have OS9 bootable towers available for
purchase. However, they are still at the $2500 price. The price drop is
available only if you want one of the OSX only models and then those don't
even come with a Superdrive.

But I'm happy enough. I'll pick up the discontinued DP 1ghz at a retailer
for $1900 or so and I've got my savings that I wanted AND OS9. And I can
also grab a discontinued 22 inch LCD for $1350 when only yesterday they were
$2500! So, can't complain there...

Any thoughts on the following:
1) Do you suppose that Firewire 800 will be availabe as an add on PCI card
down the line just as the original Firewire was for those who didn't have it
built in?

2) Same for Bluetooth?

3) What do you think the big difference is between this new 20 LCD and the
22 LCD they have discontinued?