[MacDV] New Towers, Old Towers, LCDs, OS9, OSX, etc...

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Tue Jan 28 17:18:06 PST 2003

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 04:52  PM, KathyMac! wrote:

>> No - it doesn't work at all.
>>
>> "Can't find Native Audio Engine" then quits.
>>
>> Classic mode is NOT the same as OS9.
>> Many applications do not run.
>

> Correct. Classic mode just isn't the same as a full OS9.
> But even if it was...what can I say? The truth is I love 9 and don't
> want to
> be forced into a full life of X before I am ready. Call me spoiled,
> stubborn, or whatever....I just like what I like and I don't like being
> controlled. I WILL use X for video and other things. The iLife suite
> is an
> amazing set of apps for video as is the new FCExpress. But it feels
> like
> Communism having X forced down my throat with manuevers like making
> machines
> that refuse to boot in 9.

It's not Communism. It's Capitalism warts and all. It's just progress
and business. It's not meant to be malicious. They have to cut off 9
development sometime. This era of system transition was bound to
happen. You happen to be one of the more effected.

> Ok, so maybe it's a hardware and chipset issue now and labor is money
> and
> time is money. I understand. But NOW I see on the website that the new
> 20
> inch LCD REQUIRES Jaguar to run. ???? What is the purpose of making a
> monitor that way? Is it not to control the public and force them into
> buying
> the X only machines if they want a nice LCD? It doesn't make much
> sense to
> me. What about everyone on the planet right now running 9 in nice
> (albeit
> slightly older) G4 towers that would like to add a display? Monitors
> are
> supposed to be more universal than that.

There should be 9 drivers for the new displays to work with the two
video cards that are offered in the dual 1.25 model.

> So, that's one bee in my bonnet...
>
> Now...I do see that we still have OS9 bootable towers available for
> purchase. However, they are still at the $2500 price. The price drop is
> available only if you want one of the OSX only models and then those
> don't
> even come with a Superdrive.

You can BTO the 4x DVR-105 SuperDrive on any new tower for only an
extra $200.

> But I'm happy enough. I'll pick up the discontinued DP 1ghz at a
> retailer
> for $1900 or so and I've got my savings that I wanted AND OS9. And I
> can
> also grab a discontinued 22 inch LCD for $1350 when only yesterday
> they were
> $2500! So, can't complain there...

Make sure you get iLife free with what you choose to buy after
Saturday. Make them give you the box or take your business elsewhere.
You will have to put up with more noise than the new models.

> Any thoughts on the following:
> 1) Do you suppose that Firewire 800 will be availabe as an add on PCI
> card
> down the line just as the original Firewire was for those who didn't
> have it
> built in?

Absolutely. No doubt.

> 2) Same for Bluetooth?

I'm not sure about that one. Definitely not Airport Extreme.

> 3) What do you think the big difference is between this new 20 LCD and
> the
> 22 LCD they have discontinued?

New manufacturer, higher resolution and much brighter.